Shelby County Indiana Court House Prosecutor Kent Apsley

Advocates for the People of Shelby County

James Landwerlen, Prosecuting Attorney

407 South Harrison Street | Shelbyville, Indiana 46176

Website Navigation

Prosecutor's Home

General Information

Staff Information

Adult Protective Services

Child Support

Child Support FAQ

Victim Assistance ProgramVictim Assistance Survey

Check Deception

Check Deception FAQ

Criminal Division

Fatal Alcohol Crash Team

Safe Driver Program

Investigative Division

Juvenile Division

Complaint Form

Cell Phone Program

Drug Free Calendar

Confidential Drug Tip

Related Links



Rebecca Miller is the Coordinator of the Shelby County Prosecutor’s Office Victim Assistance Program. While the criminal justice system cannot undo the damage done to crime victims, the Prosecutor's Office is dedicated to providing information and assistance in order to minimize the unpleasantness of a difficult situation. Because victim and witness participation is vital to pursuing any criminal matter, the Victim/Witness Assistance Program considers your input and opinions essential in bringing criminals to justice. With a cooperative effort from the victim, witnesses, and the Prosecutor's Office, we will more effectively prosecute those who have violated the law and provide valuable services to those who have been adversely affected by crime.


Victim Bill of Rights: Victims of crime, as defined by law, shall have the right to be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect throughout the criminal justice process; and as defined by law, to be informed of and present during public hearings and to confer with the prosecution, to the extent that exercising these rights does not infringe on the constitutional rights of the accused.
The Purpose of the Victim/Witness Program:

  • To provide more consideration and personal attention to victims and witnesses.

  • To sensitize criminal justice professionals, the mass media, and the community to the needs of victims of crime.

  • To assure that victims and witnesses are informed of the progress of the case in which they are involved.

  • To advocate for victims and their families by connecting them with local resources that will aid them in their recovery process.

  • To advise the prosecutor of the victim's feelings and concerns regarding the criminal case to which he or she is assigned.

Frequently Asked Questions:


Is there someone in the Prosecutor's Office who can answer my questions?

If you have questions about your rights, the court process, or the Victims of Violent Crime Compensation Fund, you may contact the Coordinator of the Victim/Witness Assistance Program at 317-392-6440. The Coordinator of the Victim/Witness Program can also help you if you need information about your case, information about protective orders, or referrals to community victim service programs.


What if someone threatens me while my case is pending?

It is a crime for anyone to threaten, harass or intimidate you to prevent you from testifying at any court proceeding. If anyone uses force or threatens to harm you or a member of your family, report the threat immediately to your local law enforcement agency and notify the Prosecutor's Office as soon as possible.


What if I want to drop charges?

As a matter of policy, the Prosecutor does not routinely drop charges; therefore, a victim should be certain of his/her actions when pursuing charges. Only the Prosecutor can drop charges against a defendant; however you should let the Prosecutor's Office know if you no longer wish to proceed with the case. While the Prosecutor will take your wishes into consideration, the Prosecutor must also take into consideration the safety of the community and other factors when making a decision to drop charges or proceed with the case.


Can I be reimbursed for crime related costs?

There are two ways by which you may receive money to help pay for crime related costs:

1) Restitution from the defendant/ juvenile offender: if the defendant is found guilty or pleads guilty, the judge may order the defendant (or in cases involving juveniles, the juvenile and/or his or her parents) to reimburse you for any crime related costs. It is important that you save any receipts or copies of any bills you (or your insurance company) have paid or still owe. You will be asked for the receipts and bills if the defendant is found or pleads guilty.


If you are a victim in a pending criminal case and you are requesting restitution for damages, you may do so by filling out this form and returning it, along with any supporting receipts, bills, or documentation, to the Shelby County Prosecutors Office.


2) Victims of Violent Crime Compensation Fund: available to victims of crime resulting in bodily injury or to immediate family members of a murder victim or sex crime victim, who need mental health counseling. This fund is not governed by the Prosecutor's Office; the Violent Crime Compensation Fund in Indianapolis will respond directly to the victim. Applying for this funding is not a guarantee that an award will be received. The Victim Assistance Program will supply those who are eligible with an application upon filing a criminal charge.

Protective Orders: A Protective Order is a legal document signed by a judge ordering the respondent to refrain from having any direct or indirect contact with the petitioner. Protective orders are civil matters, but a criminal charge of Invasion of Privacy may be filed when a protective order is violated. Protective orders may be obtained through the County Clerk's Office located on the first floor of the Courthouse.


If a criminal charge has been filed by the Prosecutor's Office, the victim may request that the Deputy Prosecutor ask the judge to order a No Contact Order as a condition of bond in the case. A No Contact Order is an order signed by a judge prohibiting the defendant in a criminal case from having any direct or indirect contact with the victim. If an individual violates either a Protective Order or a No Contact Order, the victim should contact the police immediately. Although the violator may be gone by the time the police arrive, victims should still fill out an offense report, in order to keep a record of evidence for future possible charges.


Your Role As A Witness - What if I am contacted? You may be contacted by someone (such as a defense attorney) concerning this case. You are free to speak with them, however we strongly recommend that you do not speak with anyone about this matter without a member of our office being present. It is our experience that certain attorneys may threaten to get a court order to make you speak to them. While you can be required to give a statement (called a deposition) under oath, our office has the right to attend the meeting and object to certain questions. Furthermore, it must be at a time and place reasonably convenient to you. Unless we are present, we will not be able to protect your rights and interests in this case. Therefore, it is extremely important that you immediately contact our office should you be contacted by anyone other than law enforcement regarding this case.


Hearing dates - One date, which the court will set, is called a pre-trial conference. At the pre-trial conference the status of the case is discussed with the Defendant’s attorney and the judge. It is not necessary for you to attend the pre-trial hearing. The judge will set the matter for trial after the pre-trial conference. In most cases, the Defendant will change his plea to guilty before the trial date pursuant to a plea agreement. If you request to see it, you may be shown any plea recommendation made to the Defendant. You need to immediately notify us if you wish to see a copy of the plea agreement.


Change of Address - IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY OUR OFFICE OF ANY CHANGE IN YOUR PHONE NUMBER OR ADDRESS. You will be kept informed of any major developments in the case as they occur and will be notified of court appearances that you will be required to attend.


Restitution - If you are seeking restitution for damages, lost property, repairs, or other out of pocket expenses as a result of this crime, please submit all receipts or records to Rebecca Miller, Victim Assistance Coordinator within 30 days. If we do not receive any requests within that time, we will not seek restitution.


Be sure to refer to the cause number when you contact us and have the cause number and name of the Defendant printed on any documents that you submit to us.

Contact Us

Prosecuting Attorney


407 S. Harrison St.

Shelbyville, IN 46176

Office Hours:

Monday - Friday

8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Closed Noon - 1:00 PM

for lunch.

(317) 392-6440

Criminal Division

Room 30

(888) 387-2352

Criminal Division

(317) 398-8847

Criminal Division Fax

(317) 392-6442

Child Support

Room 16

(317) 392-0956

Child Support Fax

Confidential Drug

Tip Hotline

(317) 398-CALL


Confidential Drug

Tip Email


or click here to use our confidential form.



Copyright 1998 - 2015 Shelby County Prosecuting Attorney, All Rights Reserved

Web Site Design, Maintenance and Hosting by ROI Integrated Office Technologies